Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 19 of 19

Thread: Model 19 Cabinet Finish

  1. #11
    Senior Hostboard Member
    Model 19 Cabinet Finish


    Phil-G's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 1st, 2013
    Location
    restaurant at the end of the universe
    Posts
    1,661
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)

    Re: Model 19 Cabinet Finish

    Quote Originally Posted by Todd W. White View Post
    High quality tongue oil and lots of elbow grease.
    X2.
    Sonic Barbarian

  2. #12
    Senior Hostboard Member GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 26th, 2002
    Location
    Chamblee, Ga.
    Posts
    4,967
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)

    Re: Model 19 Cabinet Finish

    Coconut oil was good enough for my master craftsman furniture, etc., builder/restorer relatives for just about all things fine finish hard/soft wood including hardwood floors. Had to buy a new jar today to redo the two late '60s tempered glass door equipment racks' hardwood chassis's. Been at least 14 yrs since I last did them as I lost interest after the Altec's got zapped. Seems hard to believe they've been down this long. Now if I only had a functioning camera to show them off...... : Amazon.com : Tresomega Nutrition Organic Extra Virgin Natural Cold Pressed Coconut Oil 54 oz (Pack of 2) : Grocery & Gourmet Food

    Oh yeah, not much rubbing required, just heat it up, flow it on with a rag, let set and wipe like cleaning glass with a rag. Only extra rubbing required if you lay it on too thick, though even then you can use a hair dryer to reheat it, wipe it down. I use an old artist's oil brush for filling in creases, corners, etc..

    Best part, you can eat it, lick your fingers for a treat while you work!

    GM
    Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.

  3. #13
    Senior Hostboard Member
    Model 19 Cabinet Finish


    Phil-G's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 1st, 2013
    Location
    restaurant at the end of the universe
    Posts
    1,661
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)

    Re: Model 19 Cabinet Finish

    And it smells like the beach
    Sonic Barbarian

  4. #14
    Senior Hostboard Member GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 26th, 2002
    Location
    Chamblee, Ga.
    Posts
    4,967
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)

    Re: Model 19 Cabinet Finish

    I wish! I really miss the several annual trips/vacations to the Atlantic, Gulf I once took for granted. Actually, the smell goes away pretty quick; just now they smelled like the old wood planks construction they are.

    GM
    Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.

  5. #15
    Senior Hostboard Member RonSSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 6th, 2002
    Posts
    1,222
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)

    Re: Model 19 Cabinet Finish

    After further review, the finish on my 19's needs re-finished.
    pretty faded, especially the tops. Not rough, a couple of stains.
    Should be a very light sand.

    Going to have to be a summer project with fans and the basement windows open.

    Ron
    Enjoying Altec Speakers since 1972

  6. #16
    Senior Hostboard Member Elitopus1's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 26th, 2015
    Location
    Upstate NY
    Posts
    1,069
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)

    Re: Model 19 Cabinet Finish

    Attachment 3423

    I have a pair of M17 cabs that are rougher than your M19's. I'll be watching your progress before I pull mine out of storage and refinish them.

    The veneer on mine is starting to feel slightly rough. Hopefully I can save it

  7. #17
    Senior Hostboard Member bowtie427ss's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 24th, 2006
    Location
    Rural NY
    Posts
    3,901
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)

    Re: Model 19 Cabinet Finish

    Quote Originally Posted by Phil-G View Post
    And it smells like the beach
    It smells like hot chicks on the beach.

    I've been to beaches on 3 continents, and a couple islands, they all smell the same like spoiled seafood and sulfur.

    The question i have is "is coconut oil a drying(polymerizing) oil?"

    I don't like tung oil for most woods as it darkens them too much, and i don't care to support Chinese export for products that have equals right here at home. Real tung oil is pressed from the seeds of the tung tree which grows in china. Tung oil does polymerize quite well however, and you want that property in an oil for finishing.

    Linseed oil is pressed from flax seed, it's been used as a dietary/health supplement for hundreds of years and is quite good for you. It also polymerizes. It leaves the wood several shades lighter than tung oil. With very light shades, some linseed may "yellow" a bit over time although that would never be an issue on a dark wood like walnut.

    I have a pair of M17 cabs that are rougher than your M19's. I'll be watching your progress before I pull mine out of storage and refinish them.
    The grain needs to be filled, oak requires variations in the process from walnut.
    Not all vegetables make good leaders.

  8. #18
    Senior Hostboard Member GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 26th, 2002
    Location
    Chamblee, Ga.
    Posts
    4,967
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)

    Re: Model 19 Cabinet Finish

    Quote Originally Posted by bowtie427ss View Post
    I've been to beaches on 3 continents, and a couple islands, they all smell the same like spoiled seafood and sulfur.

    The question i have is "is coconut oil a drying(polymerizing) oil?"
    Don't forget nasty smelling seaweed.

    No.

    GM
    Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.

  9. #19
    Senior Hostboard Member westend9's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 3rd, 2007
    Posts
    296
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Model 19 Cabinet Finish

    Odors aside, my BIL, the furniture builder turned me on to a process he uses for custom furniture. I used it on a pair of 60 yr old Grundig walnut speakers and it worked out well. I started with 400 grit wet and dry paper but 600 grit is adequate for speakers that don't have drink rings or other staining. Sand lightly using this solvent-free Tung oil: Botanical Polymerized Tung Oil - Non-Toxic Wood Finish. Wipe and follow with 1000 grit and the same oil. Wipe, let dry, and apply a wipe coat of the same oil. You should have two Steinways in your house when done.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.